"The Bible calls debt a curse and children a blessing; but in our culture, we apply for a curse and reject blessings. Something is wrong with this picture." ~ Doug Phillips

Monday, February 4, 2008

Yikes!...

I was heading to the office to pick up Clayton. As I was driving down RT 66 I saw this on the roof of this house. My first thought was "How cute that man has his son helping him fix a roof." My very next thought as realization dawned was, "YIKES!!!!!!! That is my Husband with MY son up there on that roof!"

I drove up very slowly and most certainly DID NOT honk my horn. I didn't want to startle them or wreck Clayton's intense concentration. Clayton was holding a rag in his hand. He was making sure that daddy didn't spill any of the 'glue' and if he did Clayton was ready to do his job and wipe it up. As my Heart slowly started beating back in it's normal rythm I started thinking..."This is why boys need fathers!" As a mom I find myself wanting to smother and well...mother Clayton. But I am finding that I am more likely to never let him help out on any of the dangerous jobs. I want to keep him in this overly protective bubble. Dad's are all about teaching their Son's how to fix things and to be tough. So as my mind was racing with all the probabilities of what would happen if they fell from the roof, I realized that I would rather have a few broken bones and scrapes and cuts to mend, than have a girly boy.
My heart about burst when Clayton came through the door at home later in the evening. With the biggest grin on his face and full of excitement he told me all about how he and Daddy fixed Grandpa Cliff's roof. I asked him if it was scary up on the roof. He said"No, not at all, I had a big job to do!"
So while I am sitting here wiping tears from my eyes, I want to say thanks to my Dear Husband who has helped me to realize that boys MUST be boys. Yes, Clayton is growing up and I must remember that all boys eventually turn into MEN. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And as soon as my heart got out of my throat I was happy they were up there together to.

Jocelyn said...

Cute story!

Anonymous said...

That is exactly how Lorin learned to build and use his mind...now it is laytin doing the same thing! :) Its great!!

The J's said...

It's such a wonderful thing when daddies let their little ones "work" with them. And the roof thing...well, a good example why kids need a mom and a dad!